This weekend we got our Cape Town Bucket List underway with a trip up the West Coast, stopping to take in the views of Silverstroom Beach, Ganzekraal and Grotto Bay, before indulging in a healthy serving of fresh farm bread (“plaasbrood”) and homemade preserves at the Vygevallei Padstal. We made one final stop in Darling to behold Pieter-Dirk Uys’ “Evita se Peron” with all it’s apartheid memorabilia and tongue-in-cheek political cometary before reaching our destination – the Atlantis Dunes, where we would tick off #8 Atlantis Sand Boarding.
Birthdays – Those awkward moments in life when all your Facebook friends take 2 seconds out of there lives to write a very personal “happy birthday” on your wall. When you have to stand around while adults attempt to mouth along to “happy birthday” – quietly enough that you could not distinguish any specific person but loud enough for dogs to hear (read: barely a whisper). And perhaps worst of all – birthday present reaction fear: if you seem too enthusiastic people inevitably think you hate the gift and are overcompensating, if you are not enthusiastic enough people think you hate the gift so much you can’t even be asked to overcompensate.
That shit was getting old and so am I – so this year, instead of organising the obligatory birthday drinks/ snacks/ merriment, I decided to escape the city for my 28th birthday and head to our family farm close to Riversdale, Western Cape, South Africa. I also decided to try my (not-so-steady) hand at filming the weekend (using my Canon 60D DSLR camera) and editing the shaky footage (using very basic iMovie features). The result – a montage of high speed roadside scenery, birthday cheesecake and the climax – making a boerie baguette.
Things this trip made me realise:
1) I am so lucky to live in such a beautiful country
2) Not much can beat a cold beer and a braai.
3) The small things make all the difference.
My Cape Town Bucket List - Isn’t it just so typical of our generation to need the impending fear of death to motivate us to do the things we really want to do. I generally find the idea of naming this – a “to-do” list with a 4-month time frame - a bucket list, quite revolting. And yet completely satisfying. Plus everyone else is doing it – so why should I feel bad? Cape Town Bucket List – fuck yeah!!!
With the prospect of moving to London at the end of the year, I saw it fit to make a list of all those typical Cape Town activities I have never done (or at least never documented on social media – which is kind of the same thing). Of course I am also completely open to exploring some less-typical Cape Town activities – so if you can think of any, please feel free to comment below.
Cape Town Bucket List
1. Have a picnic on Signal Hill while watching the sun set.
2. Hang out with the penguins at Boulders Beach.
3. Go to a summer concert in Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens.
4. Pub crawl along Long Street (ending at the Dubliner, of course).
5. Dominate the karaoke stage at Dizzy’s for one last time (I can’t sing – i.e. I never did).
6. Spend a sunny Saturday touring Stellenbosch wine farms.
7. Hike up Lions Head in time to see the sun rise.
8. Go sand boarding for the first time on the 50m Atlantis dunes - Completed 7 September 2013
9. Take part in a “Moonlight Mass” nighttime group cycle around town.
10. Hop on and off a Hop-On, Hop-Off bus all around Cape Town.
11. Take the train to Kalk Bay and soak up the drunken vibes at the Brass Bell.
12. Take the cable car up Table Mountain on a low cloud day and view the clouds from above.
13. Play with the horses on Noordhoek Beach.
14. Expose the nudists on Sandy Bay Beach.
15. Down chilled champagne on Clifton 4th Beach.
16. Reflect on SA’s beginnings with a visit to the Castle of Good Hope.
17. Reflect on SA’s recent past with a visit to Robben Island and the District 6 Museum.
18. Take a stroll through the Company Gardens past Parliament and along to Bo Kaap.
19. Get the postcard photo of Table Mountain as taken from Tableview.
20. Ride a lion at Rhode’s Memorial in honour of Cecil John.
21. Use the Noon Gun as an inappropriate prop.
Extreme (/Optional) Items
22. Ride an ostrich at the Cape Point Ostrich Farm.
(alternatively, just go to Cape Point and face off with a baboon).
23. Swim in the predator tank at the Two Oceans Aquarium.
(alternatively, just go to the Aquarium and pet a starfish).
24. Tandem paraglide off Lion’s Head.
(ideally land on Sea Point Promenade like a boss).
Feel like joining me on this adventure? Or at least part of it? Sign up here